Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Memoir of a Tapper

On Friday, April 27, I did what no other Megan had done before: I tapped in the Broadway Concert. Yes, you heard me right. I tapped. When Savannah Harwood first asked me to tap with her, I was reluctant, but then I gave in. I thought that it would be a good experience, and maybe a little fun, if I didn't kill myself in the process. We had many practices the weeks before and I was getting there, but I felt really lost standing next to pro-tappers like Savannah, Mrs. Warth, and Katie.  But it made me feel better that I wasn't the only new tapper tapping. Mrs. Caruk hadn't tapped in a while and neither had Mrs. Schuch.
I got really nervous during the week before the concert. I was even tapping in the outfield during one of our softball games that week. Elizabeth and Bailey Beasley then proceeded to laugh at me, of course. But the night of the concert, I was going crazy. I just remembered what Mrs. Caruk said: "After 5 minutes and 33 seconds it will all be over." When it was time, I went out there and tried my best and that's what counts. The only time I noticed myself mess up was when I almost whacked Mrs. Schuch in the face at the end. But that's okay; the audience probably got a good laugh. Although most people in my grade don't think of my dance moves as fly and awesome like I do, they actually liked my tapping and told me I did well. I was really proud of myself, for doing something outside of my comfort zone: getting out on stage and performing instead of watching from the audience. It was a ton of fun and I am 75% sure I would do it again.

Tap Shoe
Tap shoes for those of you who don't know what they look like

No comments: